Several Mom’s Morning Retreat members requested we post the instructions for making no-sew fleece blankets on our site, so they could easily make more at home. Here at Mom’s Morning Retreat, we are all in favor of more blanket-making as winter is creeping in, so here they are!
Instructions for Tied Fleece Blankets
- 1.5 yards of fleece fabric in pattern of choice (use 3 yards for an adult blanket)
- 1.5 yards of fleece fabric in a solid color (choose a color that looks good with the selected pattern material)
1. Begin the tied fleece blanket by cutting two rectangles of the same size from the solid color fleece and the patterned fleece.
2. Place the two pieces of fleece on top of one another, with the right sides facing out. At each corner, cut out a 2×2 inch square.
3. Using the ruler, measure off 1-inch marks along each side of the rectangle. Cut 4-inch long slits at each inch mark to the edge of the blankets. Make sure you cut through both pieces of fleece to get that fringe effect.
4. To create the tassels and to hold the two pieces of fleece together, you will make knots. To properly make the knot so they are all uniform, do the following technique: Hold both pieces of fleece together, and wrap them around your hand, beginning to form a knot. Then bring the end of the fleece through the knot, push the knot up as you tighten in, so it lies close to where the cuts begin. (I have seen the knots tied in other ways, so decide what kind of look you prefer, a more “aligned” or “flat” fringe or a more “ruffled” look.)
5. Continue tying all the tassels to create a knotted border.
This site has photos of the process, as well, for you visual-types. This site has good instructions for making a single-layer, no-sew fleece blanket if you would like to go that route. The only difference is the tying phase.
We hope this helps! Happy blanket making!